During last night’s Council meeting, the following actions were taken:
- Carolyn Harris was reappointed to the Library Board; Colleen Flaker and Melissa Kelley were appointed to a 3-year term on the Library Board.
- Approved placing a Welcome to Sikeston monument sign at the railroad right-of-way near the Miner/Sikeston city limits, just west of Edwards Avenue near the MoDOT maintenance yard. The second location will be in Matthews Park, facing westbound Highway 60/Future I-57 traffic. Installment of these signs have been delayed until summer.
- Authorized the execution of a five-year rental contract with DAEOC for property at 820 Anderson Street where they constructed a homeless facility.
- Approved Bill #6187, which allows Alcohol Sales as a Condition Use in “C-1” Neighborhood Zoning Districts. Conditional Use areas must go through the Board of Adjustments for approval.
- Approved Bill #6186, Mowing Right-of-Ways. This ordinance indicates that the ongoing maintenance of the right-of-way in all zones, including agricultural, is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner.
- Conducted the first reading of Bill #6188, the re-adoption of the Fair Housing Policy. This policy is required to be adopted annually to maintain compliance with State CDBG funding requirements. This is to ensure housing discrimination is not practiced in the City of Sikeston and to establish a Fair Housing Committee to hear violations, which in Sikeston is the Housing Authority Board.
- Awarded Bid #20-47, Street Improvement Program (Lambert Engineering, Inc.) to Apex Paving Company in the amount of $207,849.21. Street projects this year include:
Mill and Resurface Kentucky (Broadway to Crowe)
Mill and Resurface Illinois (400 Block)
Mill and Resurface West North (Sunset to Luther)
Mill and Resurface Alley Downtown (100 Block of East Front St)
ADA Improvements Along Kingshighway and Tanner
Hackberry Drive – Drainage Improvements
- Approved Emergency Bill #6193, Establishing Chapter 650-Firework Sales. This bill will establish a section in the Municipal Code book regarding the definition, general restrictions, license required, safety requirements, dates and hours of sales and penalties. In order to conform to holiday schedules, this was presented as an emergency bill.
- Approved Emergency Bill #6195, Establishing Zoning for Firework Stands. Authorized zoning areas for firework stands in the City of Sikeston will include “C-3” Highway and “DT” Downtown District. In order to conform to holiday schedules, this was presented as an emergency bill.
- Other Items:
Due to Memorial Day, the May 25th Council meeting has been cancelled. The next Council meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 1st at 5:00 p.m. at City Hall.
City Manager Douglass explained that once the Census results are in, the City will have to re-establish the ward boundaries in the city limits of Sikeston.
Councilman Settles suggested installing an outdoor bulletin board outside City Hall for posting of Council meeting agendas.
Citizen Donald Gipson spoke to Council regarding his rental property.
There being no other items, the meeting was adjourned into Executive Session for Property and Personnel.