Frequently Asked Questions

Community Development - Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What types of zones does the City of Sikeston have?
The city has a variety of zoning types within the corporate limits of the city.  (See ZONING INFO)

Q:  When do I need a building permit?
A building permit is required for ANY addition, alteration, renovation, or new construction of both residential and commercial structures on your property. If you have any questions about your project, first contact Community Development at (573) 475-3743.  (see BUILDING PERMITS)

Q:  Where are the flood plains in the City of Sikeston?
The Community Development Department maintains the National Flood Insurance Program Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM maps) for the incorporated limits of Sikeston. Contact the Bruce Copeland at (573) 475-3743 for further information. FEMA Flood Plain Map

Q:  Where do I find the Municipal Codes?
The Municipal Codes are available online. The link is located on the right navigation on the homepage and on the Community Development section of this website.  You can also use this link, Municipal Code.

Q:  How do I find my property lines?
You should find a local surveying company. They can survey your property lines.

Q: How do I find out if my contractor is license?
You can contact the City Collectors Office at 573-471-2193